Spirit Week is a celebration of UIC that increases school pride and offers fun activities for students. The Student Alumni Ambassadors (SAA) group hosts Spirit Week annually in collaboration with numerous organizations and departments, including the University of Illinois Alumni Association, Athletics, Campus Programs, the UIC Bookstore and various registered student groups.!
2013 Spirit Week Events
- Paint the Windows: Your registered student organization can show off its creativity and spirit at this fun event, which takes place 2-6 p.m. in the cafeteria at Student Center East.
- Letter Writing Campaign: Write a personal message to state legislators urging funding for UIC. The Illinois Connection table will be set up in the concourse area of the UIC Bookstore from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- T-shirt Sale: Celebrate Spirit Day by purchasing a $5 T-shirt at the UIC Bookstore. Sale begins at noon.
- Comedy Sportz: This fast-paced, funny, high-energy and interactive improvisation show takes place at 5:30 p.m. in the Montgomery Ward Lounge of Student Center East. Come early for a good seat!
Join award-winning author Gail Lukasik, MA ’85 LAS, PHD ’90 LAS, as she reads from her latest mystery novel at 5:30 p.m. at the Richard J. Daley Library, Room 1-470.
- Campus Housing-Resident Hall Association and SAA is hosting a “pre-Hustle Up UH” event from 8 p.m. to midnight in the Student Center East Atrium. The fun includes music, dancing and more to generate excitement for Hustle Up UH!
- Hustle Up UH: Similar to Chicago’s Hustle Up the Hancock event, which raises funds through the participation of 4,000 people each year, Hustle Up UH is a scaled-down but comparable activity for UIC students, alumni, faculty and staff. Register at University Hall at 10:30 a.m. and prepare to “hustle” up 28 flights of stairs!
REGISTER FOR HUSTLE UP UH
Afterward, stop by the UIC Pavilion to watch the annual Lighting of the Flame ceremony during the men’s basketball game. Create a poster at the SAA table to show your support for the Flames.
* A special “bundle” is available for UIC alumni who attend both of these events. Contact email@example.com for details.
Other events throughout the week:
Toy DriveBring a smile to a child’s face by donating rattles, puzzles, books, cards, action figures and other toys to the children in the pediatric unit of the University of Illinois Medical Center. Collection boxes will be available throughout February on the fifth floor of Student Center East and in various spots on East Campus.
1104 W. Taylor St.
(between May and Aberdeen streets)
Chicago, IL 60607
Take a group of 10 or more friends and receive free dessert, and take advantage of students’ existing 10 percent discount!
731 W. Maxwell St.
(between Union Avenue and Halsted Street)
Chicago, IL 60608
Twenty percent off to anyone who presents an I-Card for dine-in as well as to-go orders!
Enjoy discounts at participating local businesses with your I-Card.
Please contact the Student Alumni Ambassadors at 312/413-0419 or firstname.lastname@example.org if
you have any questions.